I would add that gardening is directed toward different goals than
conservation or restoration.  The gardener wants to produce beauty, food, or
some other harvestable product.  Also, gardening is almost invariably based
on plant varieties that have been in domestication for a long time,
sometimes millennia, and that represent genotypes and phenotypes not seen in
nature.  While a conservation or restoration project may share some of these
goals (e.g., creating beauty) in general the goal is to maintain an
environment in the state it was in before human intervention.  It may be
that similar techniques can be employed to reach these different goals, but
the goals themselves let us distinguish between gardening, conservation, and
restoration.

Martin M. Meiss