Hello All,

Many ECOLOG readers requested that I summarize the responses I received to
my question about whether or not game cameras could be used to estimate
population density or abundance for small mammals without the requirement to
identify individual animals. So, following is a summary of the responses I
received. I hope the summary will be helpful. If anyone decides to
experiment with any of these methods I would love to hear about your
experiences and viewpoints.

Cheers, Greta

"This will likely be an unsatisfying answer, but occupancy modeling
techniques could help you quantify the proportion of area occupied (PAO) by
each species or multiple species.  Anyway, there are several models that
come to mind from the book (4.1.6 being one relevant example) Hierarchical
Modeling and Inference in Ecology by Royle and Dorazio.  The authors provide
code for most of the models and the text is well written.

Potentially you could set the cameras to take pictures at regular intervals,
in this case the pictures could be similar to doing an aerial survey, point
count or numerous other population survey methods.  The pictures or even
videos (the longer the video the longer the exposure the higher the
probability of detection) could be treated as repeat visits, which would
then facilitate a hierarchical modeling approach to separate the observation
and process error.  Using the hierarchical formulation covariate estimates
related to occurrence could then be used to map the species distribution
and/or density.  You would have to do some reading, thinking about
assumptions and the like, but at first blush I think this idea may have merit.

Track plate arrays would also be a nice addition to your existing data."

"Most likely the small mammals you see in your seed patches don't have any
unique marking for individual identification. What you might want to do is
trap and mark them (using a sharpie or fur clipping) at the side or top. If
you can mark them uniquely, then you might even be able to monitor
visitation rates of individuals in patches. One of my profs (Douglas Morris,
Lakehead University) used to fur clip small mammals in Canada and use video
recording to study their foraging behavior. I my doctoral research on desert
gerbils, I marked them with PIT tags and had special readers under their
foraging patches. I carried out some food augmentation experiments to look
at how that affects coexistence among two species of gerbils, and their
anti-predator behaviors. I hope this helps."

"You need be able to identify individuals. With large mammals, usually with
cats,  this is generally based on strips or dots fur patterns. In general
two cameras are used to get pictures from both sides of an individual. Since
with small mammalls fur patterns may be homogeneus I believe that you would
have to catch them at least once and come up with some visible marker which
could rest for all the study period.

Since you would need investments on traps anyway I am not sure if it would
be an advantage to invest on cameras as well, rather than run a traditional
recapture with traps. But if funds are available the use of cameras could be
possible.  I would borrow some and run a trial experiment first if possible."

"If you are just interested in getting just an estimate of abundance of the
small mammals, you could use activity as a surrogate for density. Activity,
can be measured directly from the number of visits in the camera traps. A
simpler and cheaper method is to use tracking plots. Clear small (e.g.
.5x.5m) plots on the ground, and sprinkle some soft soil/sand on it, and
then just count the # of crossing  of small mammals on these plots, or
estimate what percentage of the plot is covered by their tracks. This should
give you a good estimate of density, because usually activity and density
are highly correlated.

It might actually be even better to measure activity because, since small
mammals hoard seeds, even though the actual density maybe small (i.e. you
might not see a change in density with your treatments), but the overall
activity of the residents might increase because now there is more food in
the system."

Citations for relevant papers:

Journal of Applied Ecology 2008,45:1228–1236 Estimating animal density using
camera traps without the need for individual recognition J. Marcus
Rowcliffe, Juliet Field, Samuel T. Turvey, and Chris Carbone

Using Counts to Simultaneously Estimate Abundance and Detection
Probabilities in a Salamander Community
Author(s): C. Kenneth Dodd, Jr. and Robert M. Dorazio
Source: Herpetologica, Vol. 60, No. 4 (Dec., 2004), pp. 468-478

Wildlife Research, 2010, 37, 456–465
A comparison of the effectiveness of camera trapping and live trapping for
sampling terrestrial small-mammal communities Natasha De Bondi, John G.
White,C, Mike Stevens and Raylene Cooke