Her research and books look very interesting, but I have been a little
hesitant because some scientists (including some well-respected ones I know
personally and have high regard for) hold her in utter disdain over the PNAS
communication she sponsored on the hypothesis that caterpillars evolved from
onychophornas by hybridogenesis.  Of course, just because I respect these
scientists doesn't mean they are right about everything.  What do people on
this list think of this controversy?

A different but related perspective is in the book _Compositional Evolution:
The Impact of Sex, Symbiosis, and Modularity on the Gradualist Theory of
Evolution_ http://amzn.to/eawM0b by the computer scientist Richard Watson.
 This is very theoretical and definitely not appropriate for a theory-laden
course.  I mentioned this book to a highly regarded mathematical population
geneticist--I think I had told him all of two sentences about it--and he
told me that if it was by a computer scientist I should put it out of my
mind and stay as far away from it as possible.  Again, I was taken aback by
this very dismissive attitude by a senior scientist.

--Ruchira