UNIVERSITY OF PUERTO RICO - RIO PIEDRAS
INSTITUTE FOR TROPICAL ECOSYSTEM STUDIES

TROPICAL FOREST SUMMER RESEARCH EXPERIENCE-EL YUNQUE CHRONOSEQUENCE PROJECT
June 15th through August 15th, 2011
Complete applications must be submitted by April 22, 2011

RESEARCH DESCRIPTION: The Institute for Tropical Ecosystem Studies (ITES) of
the University of Puerto Rico, together with the Dept. of Ecology, Evolution
and Environmental Biology at Columbia University, is seeking to establish
large (1 hectare) forest plots and carry out tree measurements in variable-
aged forest stands in El Yunque National Forest in Puerto Rico.  For this
project we need four volunteer summer interns to help establish the plots,
map tree locations, and collect tree census data.  Data will then be entered
using database software.  Volunteers will work together in teams under the
supervision of a field technician, spending long hours in the field (8am
until 4 pm, Mon-Fri, with weekends free), often in wet and muddy conditions.
While in Puerto Rico volunteers will have the opportunity to learn about
diverse aspects of tropical ecology from scientists involved in the Luquillo
Long-Term Ecological Research Program.

PERIOD: June 15th through August 15th, 2011.

STIPEND: $600 per month to cover food and general living expenses.

ACCOMMODATION: Free accommodation at El Verde Field Station in Puerto Rico.
Housing is communal using shared resources.  The field station is relatively
isolated and transportation is available on a limited basis.

TRAVEL: Refund of up to $750 towards a round-trip plane ticket from mainland
USA, if not already living in Puerto Rico.

NOTE: We are unable to provide any medical insurance.

REQUIREMENTS:  Rising college juniors and seniors or college graduates with
background in biology, ecology, or environmental science, preferably with
field-work experience, knowledge of plant identification, and excellent
organizational skills.  Tropical experience useful, but is not required.  We
are currently only considering US citizens and permanent US residents for
these opportunities.

APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Interested applicants must fill out the online
Application Form (see https://sites.google.com/a/ites.upr.edu/el-verde-
field-station/internships/el-yunque-chronosequence-project/el-yunque-forest-
chronosequence-project----volunteer-internship-application).

The following additional materials must also be submitted via email to
Christopher Nytch (chris.ny...@ites.upr.edu):

1) A letter of interest indicating why you wish to work in the tropical
forest and describing your relevant experience.  Include a statement that
you understand your application is for a volunteer position;

2) Full resume;

3) University transcripts (scanned unofficial transcripts are fine).
All email attachments must include the name of the applicant as part of the
file name.

Please email further inquiries to chris.ny...@upr.edu.

Following phone interviews, we will inform successful applicants in early
May, 2011.

For more information, please see http://luq.lternet.edu/, and
http://www.ites.upr.edu/EVFS/.