Post-Doctoral Research Opportunity at the University of Saskatchewan

Integrating Resource Selection, Movement, and Group Size Models to Predict
and Communicate Chronic Wasting Disease Risk for Elk with Co-occurring
White-tailed Deer

A well-funded post-doctoral position is available on the Northern Prairie
Elk Project in the Wildlife Ecology and Community Resilience Lab of Dr. Ryan
Brook at the University of Saskatchewan. Our research group has initiated a
large-scale interdisciplinary study investigating the ecology and management
of northern prairie elk populations across Saskatchewan and Manitoba, with a
focus on disease risk at the interface of elk and white-tailed deer. This
position will provide opportunities to collaborate on projects spanning
multiple spatial and temporal scales from local foraging decisions to
interprovincial corridors of elk movement. Much of this position will focus
on an existing long-term database of >400 radio-collared elk and deer from
our model system in southwestern Manitoba in addition to extensive data on
crop damage claims and disease testing. Fieldwork could include
participation in collecting additional telemetry data, validating GIS
layers, and helping support related graduate student projects. Incorporating
local and traditional knowledge is also an important part of what we do and
is approached in different ways, often integrated with conventional
biological investigation. Given our existing and on-going data collection
built on broad collaborations, there is strong potential for publishing
peer-reviewed publications and to contribute important information on the
ecology and management of cervids on the Canadian Prairies.

The philosophy of our research group is to recruit bright, mature people and
give them considerable latitude to develop the project in ways that best fit
their skills and career aspirations. The successful applicant will become an
active partner in our larger research program studying wildlife at the
agricultural interface, fostering new ideas and initiatives for both the
Northern Prairie Elk Project and other initiatives on feral wild boar,
bison, caribou, and wolves. The postdoctoral position will also be expected
to contribute to media relations and our school-based education module to
teach rural and aboriginal youth concerning wildlife and Chronic Wasting
Disease. Our interdisciplinary research program incorporates fully funded
specialized training modules with partners from Canadian and US institutions
– academic and provincial, national and international wildlife agencies,
presenting strong opportunities to network with potential employers and
develop a broad skill set. This project also provides support for conference
attendance, fieldwork, and other research costs, but the postdoctoral fellow
will also be expected to participate in grant writing.

The successful applicant will ideally begin July 1, 2011 (negotiable).
Applicants must have completed their PhD at the time the position begins
from a recognized university in biology, ecology, geography, environmental
science, veterinary medicine, geography, or a related field, with practical
experience in GIS, wildlife health, and community engagement. Must possess
excellent interpersonal communication and writing skills. Funding is
available for two years, with the second year renewal subject to budget
allocation and upon review of progress.  Salary will be
$40,000–$50,000/year, depending on qualifications.

Interested candidates should email Ryan Brook (ryan.br...@usask.ca) based in
the Indigenous Land Management Institute, the Department of Animal and
Poultry Science, and the School of Environment and Sustainability, along
with a letter of interest, CV, and two recent papers in which the applicant
is senior author. Application review will begin immediately and will
continue until the position is filled.