Re lionfish: Actually that's what I had in mind when I said "eating
everything in sight." They have been well documented to reduce populations
of reef fish, due to predation on juveniles. There are plenty of peer
reviewed papers to this effect, even demonstrating phase shifts of coral
to algae-dominated systems, due to lionfish eating herbivores.

One example: Mark Albins documented the recruitment of newly settled reef
fishes on 20 patch reefs: 10 reefs with lionfish and 10 reefs without.
Fish censuses were conducted at one week intervals for five weeks.
Recruitment was significantly lower on lionfish reefs than on control
reefs at the end of the experiment. On one occasion, a lionfish was
observed consuming 20 small wrasses during a 30 minute period. It was not
unusual to observe lionfish consuming prey up to 2/3 of its own length.
Results of the experiment show that lionfish significantly reduce the net
recruitment of coral reef fishes by an estimated 80%. The huge reduction
in recruitment is due to predation.