Hi all, not that Esat needs me to defend him but the list of species that can be 'googled' and identified as invasive scourges is, I suspect, longer than the list that actually are scourges. One of the species that was identified in Amyarta's list, purple loosestrife, is a classic example. You can go to hundreds of websites that will identify it as a species that competitively excludes native plant species and causes local extirpations. The empirical evidence to support this claim is almost non-existent (or was a couple of years ago when I checked last). There have been several reviews done on the topic and most conclude that there is little evidence that loosestrife causes extinctions at almost any scale. This isn't to suggest that invasives are never a problem but my understanding of the literature is that there is lots of evidence of extinctions caused by invasive predators and relatively little evidence of extinctions caused by competitive exclusion (zebra mussels are probably an exception to that general statement). I don't think it's a bad idea to actually step back and see if the investment in controlling invasive species is warranted.

Jeff Houlahan