Matt Chew has presented an interesting perspective on how the Nature editorial
(Davis et al. 2011, Don’t judge species by their origins) came into being. I
have significant concerns about the paper, which while certainly interesting
and provocative, does not live up to the standards of Nature. While this may be
in part a product of the editing process and limitations that Matt described,
responsibility for the commentary remains with the authors.
Nature informed me that the piece was not peer-reviewed. While peer reviewing
would not be appropriate for the message of any editorial, it should help
ensure that facts are correct and interpretations are fairly presented.  I
won’t comment here (until the bottom) about the message, but I will comment
about facts and what is best described as unfortunate presentation that should
have received the attention of an editor or the self restraint of the authors,
assuming they all read the final product.
This is a scientific commentary. Words like “vilified” and “beloved `native’
species”, “pervasive bias”, “apocalyptic” and “rightful” are best left to
bodice rippers or American talk radio.
 “Classifying biota according to their adherence to cultural standards of
belonging, citizenship, fair play or morality does not advance our
understanding of ecology.” It does seems to be advancing an argument that
plants have a consciousness that makes them capable of culture and ethics.
Tomkins (1973: The Secret Life of Plants) advanced this hypothesis but it has
not really received scientific support until this editorial in Nature. Poor
editing or ?
 Six of ten references are by co-authors. There is a near absence of literature
from the “invasive species biology” that they are commenting on, the sole
exception being a 1998 paper, while all the others are from 2009-2011. Fairness
 should have called for citing one or more current references about how
invasive species biology and management are actually practiced, rather than
presenting their one sided picture. Again poor editing?
They give an example of a long term eradication effort in Australia involving
devil’s claw plant (Martynia annua). They claim “There is little evidence that
the species ever merited such intensive management”, quoting a paper by one of
the co-authors (Gardner et al. 2010. Rangeland J. 32: 407-417). In reality,
this species is considered a pest because of its “clawed fruits cause injury
and discomfort to animals having been know to work their way into soft body
parts” (Smith 2002, Weeds of the wet/dry tropics of Australia, Environment
Centre NT.) and Gardner wrote that it is “of moderate annoyance to the cattle
industry” (Gardner et al. 2010). As we know from the Yellowstone/Montana wolf
situation, what is “little evidence” to academics but a moderate annoyance to
cattlemen can trigger control and eradication efforts.
The authors ask whether the “effort is worth it?” for this eradication effort.
They ignore the conclusion of co-author Gardner (et al. 2010), that the effort
was a valuable training exercise for 200 or 400 participants (both are given),
especially for 82 “Aboriginal Rangers” from “Traditional Owners” of the land
who subsequently took over management of the area. Did Gardner actually read
the final draft or did the other authors not read Gardner’s paper?
 Similarly for tamarisk in the western U.S., the three references are
problematic. Two are by co-authors. In the third, they reference Aukema et al
Bioscience  60: 886-897 in support of their statement that “Tamarisks. .
.arguably have a crucial role in the functioning of the human modified river
bank environment”. Unfortunately Aukema et al wrote on the historical
accumulation of nonindigenous forest pests in the Continental United States and
I can find no reference to tamarisk, much less documentation for the
statement.  Finally, tamarisk management is not settled science in the West, so
a more balanced selection of literature might have been helpful.
The reference to the number of successful plant eradications in Galapagos has
no citation. The authors cite the Ring-necked Pheasant as one among “many of
the species that people think of as native are actually alien.” It isn’t clear
who “the people” are. Most ecologists know the pheasant is introduced if they
work in the area. In any event the pheasant is irrelevant. It is managed as a
game bird, not controlled as an invasive species, unless there are local
efforts which the authors do not mention. Editing should have removed this
whole section.
 Finally, the authors use straw dog arguments which, while effective
propaganda, are poor writing.
 Claiming that the “native versus non-native dichotomy in conservation is
declining and even becoming unproductive” they cite Flieschman et al.
(Bioscience 61) as proof that “many conservationists still consider the
distinction a core guiding principle”. The paper in question lists 40 top
priorities for science to inform management.  As Davis et al. admit, invasive
alien species can have negative effects, so it is a straw dog to complain that
these principles actually consider the impact of non-native species.  A better
reference might prove their point, or not. Better editing or better writing
might have helped.
Here are the priorities that mention non-natives:
 35. How will changing levels of human activity in the Arctic that
are enabled by climate change affect Arctic ecosystems? Cli-
mate change has already resulted in the relocation of native
villages along the Arctic coast and will enable expansion of
human activities, such as transportation (van Loon 2007)
and development of energy sources, in terrestrial and
marine ecosystems in the Arctic. Unintended movement of
nonnative species also is likely to increase.
31. How will changes in land use and climate affect factors that
facilitate the spread of nonnative species? Changes in land use
and climate will affect modes and rates of introduction of
nonnative species, which may complicate efforts to achieve
ecological and agricultural targets. Among the many fac-
tors likely to increase rates of pathogen transmission and
colonization by nonnative species are increases in air travel
and increases in sea traffic in Arctic regions (facilitated by
melting of sea ice). The introduction and spread of nonna-
tive species may require developing and implementing new
strategies for screening imports, assessing the potential for
ballast water and hull fouling on ships to introduce species,
detection, rapid response, and restoration.
25. At what threshold values of abiotic or biotic attributes do ecosys-
tems change abruptly in response to species extirpations or species
introductions? Changes in species composition affect ecosys-
tems at multiple levels, from mutualisms or predator-prey
relations to disturbance regimes. For example, the invasion
of nonnative annual grasses has changed fire dynamics across
the western United States (Knick et al. 2005). Few methods
exist to detect impending threshold events. Knowledge of
thresholds at which changes in ecosystems are irreversible
would help prioritize responses to declines or introductions
of species by management agencies.
9. How do population dynamics respond to the independent and
interactive effects of multiple Stressors? The responses of
particular species to a given Stressor, such as habitat loss,
drought, invasion of a nonnative species, or harvest, often
are fairly well known. By comparison, mechanistic under-
standing of how species respond to the cumulative effects
of multiple Stressors and their interactions is limited. Lack
of knowledge constrains robust assessments of cumulative
effects required under policies such as the National Environ-
mental Policy Act (NEPA) and the Endangered Species Act
(ESA) for public and private organizations.
Another straw dog: “Clearly natural resource agencies and organizations should
base their management plans on sound empirical evidence and not on unfounded
claims of harm by non-natives.” Do they really think managers would knowingly
base their efforts on unsound empirical evidence?  Of course if we scientists
haven’t provided any such evidence, managers just have to muddle through.
And “We must embrace (more bodice ripping -DCD) the fact of “novel ecosystems”
and incorporate many alien species into management plans, rather than try to
achieve the often impossible goal of eradicating them or drastically reducing
their abundance”.  Isn’t that what we call agriculture, a field where which
invasive species biology springs, in part?  Good editing might have produced a
little less high horse and a bit more dirt under the fingernails.
 In sum, this commentary could have used a good edit and the authors should
have exhibited some professional restraint, in the absence of peer review.
 ****
Now I going to make my own comments about the content of the paper, as opposed
to its presentation, facts and writing. I suspect this commentary will appear
to managers of real time/real world situations as yet another demonstration
that academic science is about publishing papers, not about actually helping.
Given limited resources, managers prioritize constantly, so telling them to
start doing so is more than a bit fatuous. Given the frequent absence of
scientific studies about a particular species, managers will continue to make
the best decisions they can with the information they have.  Being lectured to
by academics, managers will be less likely to listen in the future. Of course
this will give future academics the chance to publish a similar commentary in a
decade or so, but meanwhile the same problems will continue.
 Finally good science in alien species biology or whatever the authors wish to
call it will be futile in terms of the real world unless it considers people.
People decide if species are a problem, and science is only part of that
decision. The tamarisk issue is probably more about visions of what the West
should be, or value judgments about native plants versus Willow Flycatchers,
than about water flow.  The devil’s claw eradication effort appears to have
always been more about culture and education (and, yes, winning a case of
beer!) than about concerns over nutrient cycling. Commentaries like this that
lambast the real world for not living up to the authors’ scientific standards
are the proverbial one hand clapping.
 To be blunt, often the best thing we academics could do is sit down, shut up,
share a beer with a manager, and listen. And yes I too need to follow my own
advice.
David Duffy
University of Hawaii

David Cameron Duffy Ph.D.
Professor/PCSU Unit Leader/CESU Director
PCSU/CESU/Department of Botany
University of Hawaii Manoa
3190 Maile Way, St John 410
Honolulu, HI 96822 USA