To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2011 10:33 PM
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Reply to: 'a few thousand ecologists meet... does anybody know or care?' -- A perhaps radical suggestion

Thank you, Kali, for not keeping your mouth shut! You make some very important points and I love your suggestion of having more opportunities for local public to participate for free. A free family ecology day like the science day they have at AAAS meetings would be a fantastic way to engage with the public. This particular meeting does have a couple of free events for the public, but I don't think they've been advertised well enough to actually draw many members of the public.

As for media coverage, a local science reporter, JP, who heard about this meeting via someone's tweet about my blog post, is keen to cover the meeting - but got a real runaround trying to contact someone for credentials! JP left several comments describing his/her efforts, and the rather inadequate media outreach efforts from ESA - I hope Nadine Lymn and anyone else from among ESA officials read the comments and think about how to improve communications. Here again is the link to my post where you will find the comments:

http://leafwarbler.posterous.com/a-few-thousand-ecologists-meet-in-the-city-to

We clearly need to do a better job of outreach, and I am glad my post has generated some discussion about the issue.

Madhu

Dr. Madhusudan Kat
Associate Professor, Dept of Biology
California State University, Fresno