David, I am no expert on growing oaks from acorns.  However, I have observed
that most large oaks produce a great acorn crop.  Multitudes of these, in a
suitable environment, germinate and produce seedlings.  Given that, if I were
interested in growing oaks from acorns, I would gather large numbers of acorns,
and attempt to propagate them under a range of conditions in both pots and
greenhouse flats.  Now, transplantation might be different.

I would also contact native plant nurseries in the areas where I was interested
in producing oaks.  Most parts of the country have them.  I know that "Sunshine
Nursery" in Clinton, Oklahoma produces native oaks for transplantation to
restoration projects, parks, and private properties.  Steve Bierback, the owner
mentioned to me on one occasion that he gathered litter and soil from under the
parent tree when he gathered acorns, so that he would propagate the appropriate
myccorhyzae  with the seedlings.  I have several post oaks and black jacks
that I purchased as saplings from Sunshine Nursery on my property, so the
owner's methods must work.  These two native oaks, though abundant in the wild,
have been claimed by some nurserymen to be impossible to propagate.

Vines, Robert A., _Trees and Shrubs of the Southwest_, University of Texas
Press, Austin, 1960, gives propagation directions for hundreds of native woody
plants that grow in the southwestern U.S.   Perhaps methods he gives for oaks
could be adapted to your oaks, especially related ones to those he describes.
Be sure to check under "Remarks" in his species descriptions as well as
"Propagation," since he sometimes includes planting instructions under either
heading.

Storage overwinter in cool temperatures, and stratification at cool
temperatures are both included for various acorns, according to Vines.

Whether one propagates woody plants or not, Vines is a great book to have
around.

david mcneely