Paul and others,

I live in central Oklahoma.  The photos you show look like the isolated patches
of bloom that I see around.  Maximilian sunflower should be at its peak right
now.  Instead, I see only scattered groups of a few plants, versus the acres of
fields and right of way normally covered in yellow in late September.  Snow on
the Mountain (a euphorb) should also have extensive stands of blooming plants.
Again, scattered.  There are almost no fields of broomweed in bloom, one of the
most drought tolerant late composites.  Little ironweed is blooming, and little
goldenrod compared to normal years.  I can find patches of all these, but not
the extensive fields.  On my own property, I have a large patch of goldenrod,
and lots of common and Maximilian sunflowers.  Partridge pea as well.  All
should be at peak right now.  Instead, I have isolated plants with flowers,
others seem very late or simply have begun to wilt without the heads opening.
Common sunflowers are dwarfed compared to norm!
 al years, so many fewer flower heads.  My Liatris (gayfeather), an important
late composite, simply failed to emerge from the ground.  I hope the corms are
alive.

David McNeely, Edmond, Oklahoma

--
David McNeely