Carolyn and Ecolog:

I agree with your first statement except that I guess I don't know how you
define sustainable, nor do I understand why your "rather" is unsustainable. Can
you clarify?

I am happy with the idea of "the horticulture industry" "blending of the
methodology and practices of natural area landscape ecology and restoration
with the practice of cultivated landscapes." I am not happy with anybody or
entity "adapting the buzz words . . . of sustainability," but I would accept
the industry's following, or even heading in the direction of embracing
"concepts of sustainability," whatever that means. But those are just my
opinions, and as such have nothing whatever to do with the scientific or
intellectually disciplined examination of the principles upon which reasoned
conclusions can be based. I don't believe opinion have a valid place in science
unless there is a simultaneous and clear citation of their foundations. Science
and opinion about scientific issues, particularly when claims are made, should
not be vague. "If you (one) can't explain it to your neighbor, you don't (one
doesn't) know enough about it." --Originator forgotten (sorry)

I have long promoted the idea of integrating landscape architecture (as
conceived by Olmsted) with ecosystem preservation and restoration. I have never
advocated "a rigid native only mantra." I have been misread in that regard,
however, by those who, for whatever reason, would like to discredit my actual
statements. I am always delighted to have my actual statements challenged, but
always call a straw man the author's scarecrow, not mine. I do recognize that
some fallacious arguments, such as red herrings, are entirely
unintentional--especially in the sense that no malice is intended. At least I
hope that is correct.

I got into ecology because a high school advisor didn't understand what the
hell I was talking about (I was not aware of this at the time), and suggested
that I major in landscape architecture. I could not believe that the curriculum
did not require either botany or ecology, so I took those subjects as electives
and had the luck to have had the best professor I've ever had; this caused me
to try to integrate the disciplines. After fifteen years of attempts that were
significantly unsuccessful or at least unexciting, I finally shifted into
ecosystem restoration once I was able to rid myself of the presumptions and
practices of "the horticultural industry." Those presumptions and practices
remain common today, but I am encouraged by your take that it is headed in a
better direction. I certainly hope you are right, and that the industry is
sincere, rather than seeing "sustainable" as just another buzz-word around
which a fashionable ad program can be fashioned.

I can't be so presumptuous as to attempt the interpretation of Carolyn's last
paragraph, so I will attempt some sort of response by saying that I believe
that there is a clear distinction between ecosystems and artificially
maintained "landscapes." I have long been suspicious of "right plant in right
place" statements by the horticultural industry, but believe that it could be
explained or defined in more precise terms. Plant nurseries continue to sell
their wares, and practice landscape architecture according to nursery catalogs
and whether or not a plant "likes" shade or sun, acid or neutral or alkaline
soil, dry or wet, etc., but they remain largely unconcerned with reproduction
potential, for example. In fact, standard landscape architectural practice
persists in insisting on conformance of the introduced organisms to "a plan."
It does not seem to favor ecological dynamics or even the sorting out of
organisms according to site conditions, and is even hostile to such processes.
I have long suggested in vain that it is the responsibility of any profession
to maximize benefits of all kinds to its clients, including the property owner
and the earth. For example, I have suggested that landscape architectural
practice could be improved by first considering the existing ecosystem and how
it could be modified to meet client needs, rather than destroying all life on a
site and replacing it with living organisms that merely meet with client whims
rather than needs, much as a responsible physician would not prescribe drugs
that are inconsistent with the patient's welfare.

The previous four paragraphs are, to be clear, irrelevant to the central issue;
they are intended to be responsive to Carolyn's comments. I respect Carolyn's
opinions and agree with the spirit of what she says; I have attempted to
clarify my understanding of the relevant distinctions, but am under no illusion
that my response settles the matter. I agree that it is a good conversation and
look forward to further clarifications and contributions. This subject is much
larger than this; that is why I requested input from Ecolog rather than trying
to write my own essay on the matter. It seems central to the discipline of
ecology to me.

WT