Here's an additional opinion on the matter, and it is rather less charitable: http://phylogenomics.blogspot.com/2012/01/yhgtbfkm-ecological-society-of-america.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheTreeOfLife+%28The+Tree+of+Life%29 <http://phylogenomics.blogspot.com/2012/01/yhgtbfkm-ecological-society-of-america.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheTreeOfLife+%28The+Tree+of+Life%29>

The fact that ESA forces authors to cede the copyright to their work is offensive, IMO, even if they 'grant' the author reprint or reproduction rights. It also means that ESA could choose to rewrite their rules such that authors could lose rights to reprint or reproduce their own work. Academic publishers should be granted first printing rights, with the option to acquire additional rights at a later date, as they desire. Nothing more. As it currently stands, ESA's policy is essentially treating research articles as work-made-for-hire, which is ludicrous, given that authors must pay page charges to print the work! In essence researchers are paying to have their work printed, while ceding all of their rights to the publisher in the process.

Further, I don't think anyone is suggesting that ESA should be denied all subscription fees (or page fees), but simply that papers should become available publicly over time, and that any research funded by public monies should be available to the public sooner rather than later. Which is entirely reasonable, and more than likely beneficial to the public.

-m