To be fair, ESA's profit margin is much smaller than that of commercial
publishers. But I wonder how much of that money comes from people paying
outrageous sums for individual articles. Not much, I'll bet.

There would seem to be a simple technical solution. Just as IP addresses
are currently used to check whether someone is at a subscribing
institution, they could be used to see whether an article request is coming
from someone at a university. If yes, they'd only have access if their
library subscribed (or if they had an individual subscription).
Non-institutional users would get free access.

Jane Shevtsov

>>> http://researchremix.**wordpress.com/2012/01/07/what-**