We are excited to announce the launch of a new section in the journal
Biogeochemistry, and remind you that we are interested in novel
syntheses and reviews:

Biogeochemistry Letters

A new fast-track review process is available for high-profile
manuscripts that present results that substantially advance the field
or challenge entrenched ideas.  Letters are expected to present new
information in a concise format and appeal to a broad audience.  We
expect these papers to broaden our readership and solidify the
journal’s reputation for publishing cutting-edge research in the field
of Biogeochemistry.

The review process for submissions to this category will be expedited.
 After an initial screening by the section editor, Matthew
Wallenstein, they will be reviewed by our editorial review board
members who have agreed to review manuscripts within 21 days.  We aim
for an initial editorial decision within 30 days of submission, and a
rapid editorial and publication process thereafter. As an added
incentive for authors to cast their submissions in the concise Letters
format, all papers in this category will receive free color printed
figures.

In order to assure rapid publication, papers must conform to a strict
page limit and format. Submissions may contain up to 5000 words in the
main body (not including abstract, references, acknowledgements, or
captions), six display items (figures or tables), and 50 references.

Synthesis and Emerging Ideas

Biogeochemistry also publishes papers that are theoretical,
hypothetical, and/or synthetic in nature. If you have an idea for a
paper that you think will advance the concepts in the field of
biogeochemistry, that will challenge and expand people’s thinking, or
ultimately stimulate the development of new tools and information, we
invite submissions under the heading, Synthesis and Emerging Ideas (S
& EI).

We are always willing to consider traditional, potentially high-impact
review papers that summarize existing knowledge through S & EI, but we
are especially interested in papers that synthesize existing
information and/or data to generate new questions, ideas, theories,
and most importantly, stimulate thought and discussion. We would
especially welcome your papers that tackle emerging, unresolved or
controversial ideas head-on.  Synthesis and Emerging Ideas papers
should be prepared – and will be reviewed – with the same intellectual
rigor as other papers published in Biogeochemistry.

However, the review and acceptance processes will focus less on the
"rightness" of the paper and more on the rigor, impact, and potential
value of the ideas presented. When reviewing and selecting papers, one
key question we will ask is, Will this work advance biogeochemical
thinking and research?

If you have an idea for a Synthesis and Emerging Ideas paper that you
think meets that standard, please contact Cory Cleveland (the S & EI
section editor) directly before preparing and submitting your paper.
For more information, see the S & EI link under “For Authors and
Editors” on the right-hand side of this page. As an added incentive
for authors to submit novel reviews to this journal, all papers in
this category will receive free color printed figures.

-Kate Lajtha and Matt Wallenstein
--

Matthew Wallenstein

Assistant Professor
Natural Resource Ecology Laboratory
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523-1499

Wallenstein Lab Website
http://www.nrel.colostate.edu/~mawallen

PI, Enzymes in the Environment Research Coordination Network

http://enzymes.nrel.colostate.edu