Actually, I have been advocating this for some time now. It is one of my top priorities as a member of the advisory committee for the new University of Florida Office of Postdoctoral Affairs that I helped initiate - first meeting is Feb. 3.

What would be better is if the NSF and NIH mandated that postdocs and adjunct faculty are grant-PI-elegible for that institution to be eligible to receive grants from those agencies at all, and even possibly for accreditation (whoever it is that approves research institution accreditation). That way we wouldn't have to wait decades for every institution to do right by us as a population.

On 1/19/2012 1:03 PM, Dixon, Mark wrote:
Maybe a partial solution would be if universities were more willing to allow
post-docs or adjunct faculty to be PI's on grants.  Not sure what kinds of
structural changes would need to occur for this.

Mark D.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU] On Behalf Of Aaron T. Dossey
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 11:34 AM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Two items about NSF

This is an intriguing choice of words...  Some comments:  1) "with", really?, 2) what
about postdocs/postechs/postemps?  With more of am emphasis on having a lab to get a grant, more
will be caught in the catch 22 most of us already are: no position, no funding; no funding, no
position.  Some of us are pursuing a more entrepreneurial approach to carving out our own careers,
since Universities seem to be wilting and dying, providing no new fruit for developing careers.  In
fact, probably a majority of postdocs will end up on this track.  Having a strong emphasis on
"you have to have resources", especially when most Universities are reluctant to partner
with you unless you are faculty or work for faculty, stifles those on this type of track.