Respectfully, this sort of program is simply an example of "experiential
learning" for kids who can afford it and for their faculty-caretakers...the
ecological community is losing the competition for
biodiversity-preservation and, for numerous reasons, have little leverage
against the corporate conservation organizations; economic, political, and
social interests of habitat countries; repressive influence of defenders of
"complex" & flagship taxa; the personality-driven and fashion-driven nature
of conservation enterprises, etc., etc. Programs such as this one have
proliferated remarkably over the past 15-20 y...*Cui bono*?...I call for an
independent and quantitative evaluation of these "education abroad" and
related programs, in particular, to determine their payoffs for the
environment, for the mitigation of anthropogenic stressors, for science,
for indigenous groups, for creative problem-solving, and the like. There is
much more of concern...and very little time to act...Suggestion to Kolb:
put these kids through Special Forces Survival Training, teach them to keep
their mouths shut and their eyes open, and put them to work as forest
security assistants under the direction of Brazilian nationals concerned
with biodiversity-protection...

--
clara b. jones
Blog: http://vertebratesocialbehavior.blogspot.com