Good grief, Matt.

How long the region we now call Texas has been called that is irrelevant, and
how much territory the name has encompassed at various times is also
irrelevant.  The question had to do with whether Post Oak was "native" to the
region now called Texas.

Short answer, without knowing the inquirer's criteria for "native," is yes.

It is silly to make a statement claiming that I suggest that Texas has been
Texas for any particular period of time.  The question was about a geographic
locality, not the political matter of who called it what when.  However,
historical evidence suggests that Spanish speakers were the first to apply a
name similar to Texas, and that it was based on their name for one or more
"Native" American groups.

I pointed out that _Quercus stellata_ has gone by other names (though the
binomial does suggest "Star Oak," I am not aware of it ever going by that
common name), one of which (Cross Oak) gives a clue to its presence and indeed
abundance in the area now known as Texas because the same term was applied to a
large forested area, the Cross Timbers,  by English speakers during that time.
Spanish speakers called the same woodland, which stretches across a large swath
of the state, _Monte Grande_.   The name Cross Timbers seems to have been
written for the first time formally on a map by Stephen F. Austin in the 1820s.
 I see no reason to suggest that the English speakers of the time would have
given a name to a landscape based on an introduced tree.

No one suggested Post Oak is a Texas endemic.  It occurs throughout a fairly
large portion of the eastern U.S.

McNeely

--
David McNeely