Are you sure you're not seeing recolonization? The Texas of my boyhood was largely spent camping out in the post-oak timber belt, and I personally pulled stumps as my part of clearing them to plant alien pasture grasses, goobers, hairy vetch, and other "crops" recommended by the county agent.
From the mid-ninteenth century until the present era, such clearing has been
tantamount to "doing God's will." Maybe God has something to do with the recolonization of the post-oaks, the grass-burrs, the briar patches, the poison ivy and all the other plants and animals that once populated that region?

WT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tacy Fletcher" <cay...@yahoo.com>
To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:20 AM
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] definition of "native"

From a land-manager's perspective regarding the post oaks of the Texas region, most likely one would say that post-oaks havenaturalizedas many introduced species do. Whether the species was introduced by animal or weather phenomena is a debate not worth having. But for fun I thought I would add the POV of a stewardship technician: that if it isn't running amok, then I have more aggressive plant species to try to corral.

Cordially yours,

Tacy Fletcher (uses pseudonym "Cayt Fletch" on facebook) also tflet...@pnc.edu
Fletch

________________________________
From: Martin Meiss <mme...@gmail.com>
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:39 AM

  Even if we agree as to what "native" means, phrases such as "native to
Texas" are problematic, and not just because, as Matt Chew points out,
human political constructs vary with time. If a tree is native to one
little corner of Texas, then the statement "native to Texas" applies, but
what does it mean? It might be politically significant, for instance for
state laws governing exploitation of the species, but biologically not very
useful. It seems to me that for biological purposes, the concept of
"native" should be tied to some biologically oriented construct, such as
Holdridge's life zones.

  Of course, a person out for a walk my come upon a species and wonder
if it is found in the area because of human intervention. Phrasing the
question as "Is this species native to this area?" would probably be
understood, but perhaps it would be better to ask in terms of human
intervention, i.e., "Is this species introduced?" Sometimes it is easier
to account for what humans do than for what nature does.

Martin M. Meiss