From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU] On Behalf Of David Inouye
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 10:42 AM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] Used a tablet for field work?

I'd like a way to replace data entry on paper in the field with an electronic
alternative.  Ultimately the data end up in a spreadsheet, but sometimes using
formulae (e.g., 3*5 + 4*2 + 6, for numbers of inflorescences with different
numbers of flowers). Has anyone used something like the Blackberry PlayBook, an
Android tablet, Nook, iPad, etc. with spreadsheet software?  Recommendations
for or against particular solutions?

I have also considered a ruggedized PC and a ruggedized tablet (Motion F5V),
but they are a LOT more expensive than other tablet options would be.

David Inouye