Based on several field seasons of success by my colleagues with this set
up, I'm going to implement field data collection on iPod Touches this
summer. iPod Touches are relatively cheap and the functionality for what I
need is good. I think glare might be an issue we will have to deal with.
The package of hardware my colleagues use is an iPod Touch ($200,
http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/) with a GPS cradle ($85
http://www.gpscradle.dualav.com/) and they take these into the back
country, charging them on solar chargers ($100
http://store.solio.com/Solio-Store/Solar-Chargers/CLASSIC2-Solar-Battery-Charger-S13-AF1RW
). It all fits into a sturdy Pelican case ($20
http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1050 )

They also recommend this database application with forms that can be
easily customized: HandDBase ($10
http://www.ddhsoftware.com/handbase_iPhone.html )

-Lindsay