The focus could be national happiness. See
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_national_happiness#section_5.

So far as sustainability is concerned, we should start with preserving as much
of the remaining natural functioning of ecosystems that evolved over millions
of millennia. For their own sake.  What we will be left with following the
current "experiment" likely will be far more fragile.

Geoff Patton

Sent from my iPhone