Hi Jeremy,

You haven't told us the most important thing -- WHY you're doing a
Master's and want to do a PhD. Answer that, and you'll be well on your
way to picking a topic, with the rest being a matter of finding a
specific question.

I also highly recommend the book _On Becoming a Biologist_ by John
Janovy, Jr. It is a very wise book that deals with these types of
questions.

Good luck,
Jane Shevtsov

--
Jane Shevtsov, Ph.D.

"In the long run, education intended to produce a molecular
geneticist, a systems ecologist, or an immunologist is inferior, both
for the individual and for society, than that intended to produce a
broadly educated person who has also written a dissertation." --John
Janovy, Jr., "On Becoming a Biologist"