I am a current MS student studying Conservation Biology.  What I want to
let you know is it is okay for ideas, topics, and plans to change.  When I
entered last fall I planned on going for a PhD and studying something
rather obscure.  I am now planning on finishing my MS on a more broad and
applicable topic.  I also have noticed that if you can find a place not
just where research is needed but there is a need for this research in your
community at large there will be greater prospects when you are finished.
Eric