Volunteer Divers in Marine Protected Areas (Philippines), March/April 2013

Project Seahorse and its NGO partner in the Philippines are seeking volunteer, certified SCUBA divers (minimum 15 logged dives) who are interested in participating in a long-term monitoring program for marine protected areas (MPAs) in northern Bohol, Philippines.

The surveys are conducted biannually, one in the dry season (March/April) and one in the wet season (Sept/Oct). An eight-week commitment is required comprising approximately two weeks of training and six weeks of survey work. Surveys are easily influenced by weather and other unpredictable events, so the duration of the fieldwork may vary. If completed quickly, volunteers will be asked to assist with other conservation work, such as data encoding or assisting with other biological field programs.

Download an application in <http://seahorse.fisheries.ubc.ca/sites/seahorse.fisheries.ubc.ca/files/uploads/documents/pdfs/volunteer-application2011.pdf>pdf or <http://seahorse.fisheries.ubc.ca/sites/seahorse.fisheries.ubc.ca/files/uploads/documents/pdfs/volunteer-application2011.doc>Word format. The application deadline for the March/April survey has been extended to Dec. 15, 2012. Please email your application to Angelie Nellas at <mailto:a.nel...@projectseahorse.org>a.nel...@projectseahorse.org. For more information, visit <http://seahorse.fisheries.ubc.ca/volunteer>http://seahorse.fisheries.ubc.ca/volunteer.

About Project Seahorse

Project Seahorse is a marine conservation organisation based at the University of British Columbia, Canada and the Zoological Society of London. We are committed to the conservation and sustainable use of the world’s coastal marine ecosystems. We generate cutting-edge research and turn our findings into highly effective conservation interventions ­ often in collaboration with other researchers, governments, and local communities. Led by Dr. Amanda Vincent and Dr. Heather Koldewey, global experts on seahorse conservation, Project Seahorse has been recognized with many <http://seahorse.fisheries.ubc.ca/who-we-are/achievements-awards>international awards and honours, including the Rolex Award for Enterprise and the Whitley Award in Animal Conservation