I should know more, but my experience is limited and old.  As part of a
field methods course including counting soil insects, we collected raw
numbers in a whole lot of categories, then input them into a multivariate
analysis program (SAS, at the time).   We came up with a few interesting
correlations, although none would probably hold up under better data
collection methods.  You could throw the data into a MVA program and see
what comes out, then come up with a focus.

-Don

Don Dean
Oakland NJ Schools
Project Amazonas Reforestation and Environmental Education
projectamazonastree.org

Join us in the Amazon in 2013!