From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU] On Behalf Of Christopher Brown
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 13:16
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] Statistical Question on Temperature Profiles

Ecologgers,

I have a master's student who is examining thermal preferences of two species
of scorpions in the Sky Islands of southeastern Arizona. She has gathered some
field temperature data as part of her thesis, but we are unsure how best to
analyze the data (or perhaps more specifically, what data to analyze). I've
given some details below, if you have some insight for us!

The short version of the experiment: these scorpions are found under rocks
during the day, and we have determined thermal profiles for 15 rocks under
which scorpions were found and 15 rocks under which scorpions were not found.
For both sets of rocks, we measured length and width and selected a range of
sizes based on binning the rocks into three categories (small, intermediate,
and large) and then choosing 5 rocks in each size range. Each rock had an
iButton placed under it, and temperatures were recorded every 30 minutes for 48
hours.

Her basic question is then, do the thermal characteristics of chosen rocks
differ from the thermal characteristics of non-chosen rocks? Our problem is,
what data should we use? Our first though is at a simple
level: we could calculate mean temps for the two rock categories and compare
them with a t-test, and/or we could compare variances or ranges
(max-min) with a t-test to determine if variability differs between rocks.
We've found a couple of different variations of this kind of analysis in the
literature, but we'd like to know if this is the best (or "best") way to
analyze the data, or are there more sophisticated techniques that involve
analysis of the whole profile? If we do use a fairly simple analysis based on
some type of summary variable, what is the best summary variable to use (mean?
Variance? Range? Something
else?) and the best analysis to do?

If anyone has any experience in analyzing this type of data and has some
suggestions, we'd be happy to hear from you!

Thanks,

CAB

Chris Brown

Associate Professor