"Double-blind peer review, in which neither author nor reviewer identity
are revealed, is rarely practised in ecology or evolution journals.
However, in 2001, double-blind review was introduced by the journal
Behavioral Ecology. Following this policy change, there was a significant
increase in female first-authored papers, a pattern not observed in a very
similar journal that provides reviewers with author information. No
negative effects could be identified, suggesting that double-blind review
should be considered by other journals."

Budden et al. 2008 Double-blind review favours increased representation of
female authors. Trends Ecol Evol 23(1):4-6

--
Cynthia O'Rourke
Mendelson Lab