Colleagues,

I am recruiting a Ph.D. student in Fire Ecology to begin Fall 2013.

The student will have flexibility in specific topics, but I am looking for
these research areas:
1. Plant community flammability
2. Long-term ecological effects of fuels treatments.
Applicants interested in flammability will focus on some aspect of plant
flammability from lab-based work to field fire behavior, with a wide diversity
of study species and sites available in the fire-prone southeastern US or in
Mexico. Applicants interested in ecological effects of fuels treatments will
work collaboratively with our lab and Dr. Chris Keyes at the University of
Montana. Potential topic areas can vary widely, but our goal is to evaluate
long-term changes in canopy and surface fuels at sites in the Northern Rockies
and Southeastern Coastal Plain.

Strong applicants will have abundant field research experience, a record of
publication, an understanding of fire ecology and behavior (or really strong
interest), and competitive GPA & GRE scores. Research assistantships include a
full tuition waiver, a competitive annual stipend ($20,000), and health
insurance for three years.

Mississippi State University is located in Starkville, a beautiful college town
in northeast Mississippi (http://www.msstate.edu/web/about ). For more
information on the Department of Forestry: http://www.cfr.msstate.edu/forestry .

Interested applicants should email me, including your research interests, a
resume/CV with relevant experience and scores, and contact information for
references who can speak to your potential as a productive scholar.

Thanks in advance,
Morgan

Dr. J. Morgan Varner III
Department of Forestry
Forest & Wildlife Research Center
313 Thompson Hall
Box 9681
Mississippi State University, MS 39762-9681
Tel. 662-325-0792
Fax. 662-325-8726
Email mvar...@cfr.msstate.edu