From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU] On Behalf Of Brent Bellinger
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2013 1:24 PM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] USA jobs: CV vs. Resume

I am looking for some advice to improve my odds of getting past the initial
applicant screenings in USA Jobs. As a research scientist, I've put together a
pretty standard CV, which I've uploaded onto USA jobs and is used when applying
for research positions. I was told recently by a non-scientist (a helicopter
mechanic), the key when applying to positions through USA jobs is to make sure
your resume utilizes key words which helps it rise to the top of the applicant
list. A CV obviously does not have the depth of detail in terms of outlining
skills, abilities, knowledge, etc. that a resume usually does. I'm wondering if
I need to augment my profile and compliment my CV with a descriptive resume to
help my odds of getting an interview? Is a key-word heavy resume a real and
necessary thing in USA jobs, or have I just had bad luck with the past few
positions I've applied to (i.e., they were not good fits with my skill set)?

Thanks much for the insight on this matter.

Brent Bellinger, Ph.D.
post doctoral scientist
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Duluth, MN