It's been my experience that many of the jobs on USA jobs are already filled.
They just post them because they have to by law.  So if you don't get called
back, I wouldn't take it as a knock on your experience or your CV.  Also, if
you are a vet or already in the federal government, you get preference.  If you
are not either of those, your chances are pretty low of getting a position.
The best way in is to do a post doc and get someone who wants to work the
system to get you in.   I've heard managers state outright that that is what
they do - even though it is not legal.

Michael Garvin, PhD
University of Alaska Fairbanks
School of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences