Dear Colleagues,

I would like to bring our AGU session to your attention. The description is
listed below, please feel free to distribute it to anyone who is interested
in this topic. The abstract submission is now open, and will close August
6, 2013.

Session: GC053 “Incorporating Microbial Mechanisms into Scalable Ecosystem
Models”

Section: Global Environmental Change

Co-sponsors: Biogeosciences, Atmospheric Sciences

Microbial-mediated ecosystem models offer exciting opportunities to improve
modeling at a range of scales, by describing the decomposition of soil
organic matter and transformation of nutrients driven by microbial-enzymes
and mediated by pore-scale processes. Microbes are likely to acclimate to
new environmental conditions, such as higher temperatures and changes in
precipitation frequency and intensity. Our session will bring
experimentalists and modelers together to identify current pathways and
barriers to incorporating microbial mechanisms into Earth System Models
(ESMs), and to discuss forward directions for scaling microbially-mediated
processes observed in lab and field scales to ESMs under global change
scenarios.

Conveners:

1. Melanie Mayes, Oak Ridge National Lab, maye...@ornl.gov

2. Gangsheng Wang, Oak Ridge National Lab wa...@ornl.gov