What other choices that might "compete with their professional career," would warrant such an opportunity, Michael? The proposal here looks a bit half (if that) baked.

Few other "choices" invoke such a huge emotional, financial -- and LEGAL -- burden as parenthood. Being a caregiver for old or ailing relatives might certainly warrant such treatment, but let's say your choice is scuba diving (a choice I am afflicted with). It is a personal choice, it involves costs in terms of money and time -- and if done enough, could interfere with my professional career. So should I be eligible for NSF help to help with my recreational diving habit? [For the sake of argument, let's ignore the fact that my dissertation is focusing on coral reefs and will involve some diving.]

Dave