I assume you are not serious.

What people who find fault with NSF doing this fail to acknowledge is that NSF
is responsible for the furtherance of science.  Projects suffer when
participants must be away for family matters.  So science suffers, and NSF
money goes to waste.  By providing PIs small grants to temporarily replace
workers who must be away for family reasons, NSF is salvaging its projects.

I assume that PIs have hiring and firing authority.  Being absent for
recreational reasons and letting the project suffer would in my mind justify
replacement of such personnel.  That shouldn't be hard to do in today's
employment climate.

PIs may be faced with an institutional family leave policy that requires that
they provide time off for family reasons (which is a legitimate institutional
policy -- it helps retain employees in which the institution may have valuable
training invested).  This policy provides for PIs to work around the difficulty
to projects that that might cause.

NSF seems to be responding to a need among grantees.    David McNeely

--
David McNeely