The most relevant and interesting questions here are related more to what this phenomenon can tell us rather than what it cannot tell us--entirely apart from the quality, for the worse or for the better, of the writing of this particular article. I only know that it was news to me--no doubt many others already knew all about Ascension Island's flora and fauna.

WT

PS: So what happens when an assemblage of organisms is tossed together? How long and it what ways did it take for relationships to form, given that survival and reproduction make the important calls? Where is a list of the species and their origins, and what kind of evolution has taken place, if any? Genetics?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Boyce" <boy...@nku.edu>
To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2013 8:01 AM
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] Human-assembled ecosystem

Here's a *very* interesting story on the human-assembled ecosystems of Ascension Island in the tropical South Atlantic: http://e360.yale.edu/feature/on_a_remote_island_lessons__in_how_ecosystems_function/2683/

I suspect that further research here may challenge our ideas regarding community assembly.

================================
Richard L. Boyce, Ph.D.
Director, Environmental Science Program
Professor
Department of Biological Sciences, SC 150
Northern Kentucky University
Nunn Drive
Highland Heights, KY  41099  USA

859-572-1407 (tel.)
859-572-5639 (fax)
boy...@nku.edu<mailto:boy...@nku.edu>
http://www.nku.edu/~boycer/

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries." - A.A. Milne