Colleagues,

I was just contacted by Jim Luken, who was my predecessor at NKU and is now at
Coastal Carolina University. He and John Thieret published a paper in Sida
(Amur honeysuckle (Lonicera maackii: Caprifoliaceae): its ascent, decline, and
fall, vol. 16 (3) pp. 479-503, 1995). Here's the relevant paragraph from the
paper:

"Authorship of the binomial Lonicera maackii has been controversial. Most
authors cite Maximowicz [abbreviated as Maxim.] as having made the combination
Lonicera maackii in Primitae florae Amurensis (Maximowicz 1859), but he did not
validly publish such a new combination there. The binomial Lonicera maackii
(Rupr.) Herder was validly published in 1864 (Herder 1864)."

John Thieret is now deceased, so I can't ask him what "validly published"
means, and both Jim and I are mere ecologists. But apparently Maximowicz did
not follow the recognized procedures for naming a species, and thus Herder is
the right authority. Jim said that this paper in Sida established Herder as the
proper authority.

Here are the references for the two papers:
Herder, F.v. 1864. Plantae Raddeanae monopetalae. Die Monopetalen Ostsibiriens.
Bull. Soc. Imp. Naturistes Moscou 37(1):190-235.

Maximowicz, C.J. 1859. Primitiae florae Amurensis. Mém. Acad. Imp. Sci. St.
Pétersbourg Divers Savants 9:1-504. 10 pls. (Reprint 1859 by Kaiserliche
Akademie der Wissenschaften, Saint Petersburg.)

So, it sounds like the proper way to refer to this species is Lonicera maackii
(Rupr.) Herder.

Rick