I’ll add my two cents.  The scarcity of positions is absolutely nothing new.
In the 1980’s it was not unusual for there to be 300-400 applicants or more for
positions in any kind of organismal biology.  It was during that decade that
doing a post-doc in ecology became the norm as a holding place for the emerging
cohort.  I don’t mean to plead a sad tale, but I was a post-doc at a major lab,
published many papers, and later taught and taught before getting a
tenure-track job after way too many years.  I stuck with it, through the tough
times, when I perhaps should have recognized my giving-up-time.  I was
financially insecure most of the time but that was price I was willing to pay
to achieve my dream.  Perhaps the question ought to be how much one is willing
to sacrifice with the knowledge that you may never achieve your dream.  This
isn’t fair and I, more than most, feel badly for all the young scientists who
won’t get what they so badly want.  And deserve.  But it just won’t happen for
any number of reasons which speak nothing of the quality of the candidates
passed over.

As for the preponderance of adjunct or part-time faculty, one only has to look
at the corporate model of governance at most colleges and universities to see
where the real growth in higher education has been.  While the quality of
education has been taking hits, the quality, quantity, and salaries of
administrators has been growing enormously.  In real terms the salary of most
faculty has not grown in perhaps 40 years.  I can’t speak for administrators,
but I am willing to bet that they make more than they did in 1970.   I make
about the same in actual dollars (unadjusted for inflation) for teaching a
course now as I did in 1985.  And with no benefits and I have had my PhD since
before many of the new cohort was born.  Unfair?  You bet.  Did anyone ever say
that life was fair?  No.  But I can’t imagine doing anything else so I take
what I can get and march on.  Maybe there’ll be a job next year….sort of like
the Cubs and the World Series.

Steve Schwartz, PhD