I haven't been able to follow the entire thread but one thing I draw from
what I have read is that it is incumbent on those of us who work with
students at all stages in their academic careers to also advise them to
consider the job market in their chosen disciplines.  In so doing, they
make more informed decision and they study with eyes open wide on the
possibilities open to them at the next stage in their life and career
journey.  Much easier said than done.  It reminds me of two PhD markets in
recent years.  One, where hundreds of applicants vied for the reported 2 or
3 job openings that year and second the hundreds of positions open for the
2 or 3 PhD candidates graduating each year.  Hopefully we advise our
students of the job market realities.  One place a student might look for
this information can be found here.
http://www.bls.gov/ooh/occupation-finder.htm

   *Kevin Klein [image: True Blue] <http://www.ic.edu/>*
Professor of Economics
Program Coordinator- Environmental Biology and Ecological Studies
Co-Chair - Environmental Program Development Committee

Illinois College
1101 West College Avenue
Jacksonville, IL 62650
217.245.3474