Dear colleagues,
  I have been enjoying this exchange immensely, especially because I lived
through a similar shift in focus and institutional support (previously
described by others) at a former institution.  I was an outspoken critic of
the lack of diversity in scientific approaches that ensued in that
department.  Coincidentally, I had written a blog entry in a similar vein a
few days before the first posting in Ecolog-L (for my current university).
All this to say that it seems like there are more people thinking about
this than I believed, and to me that is an encouraging realization.  The
blog is here for those interested:
http://www.auw.edu.bd/reflections-on-teaching-when-they-saw-the-birds/
Cheers,

Edwin
=================
Dr. Edwin Cruz-Rivera
Associate Professor of Biological Sciences
Asian University for Women
20/A M.M. Ali Road
Chittagong 4000
Bangladesh
Tel: +880-31-2854980
Fax: +880-31-2854988

"It is not the same to hear the devil as to see him coming your way"
(Puerto Rican proverb)