I actually have a bit of a unique experience with my undergraduate
university that may make some of you feel mildly better about this whole
situation. I just recently graduated, and when I started at my university,
the department I was under was classified solely as Molecular and Cellular
Biology (I thought it was what I wanted to do when I started college. I was
very wrong), and there was nothing close to an ecology class, much less a
field course being offered, even in the intro biology classes. Since then,
my university has started a field ecology class that goes over the basics
of ecology, involves a final field research project as the primary grade,
and has 4 Saturday field trips to areas relatively close to the university
(with travel provided for the whole class by using a local school bus)
where the students get to learn basic field methods (including collecting
and identifying plants and insects). As an even better note, this class has
maxed out its number of students in every semester it's been offered since
it started. In addition, the department as a whole has renamed itself
simply the Department of Biology in hopes of expanding the scope of the
program outside of just the molecular and cellular scale in the future.
This may be a completely and totally isolated instance, but I definitely
think it shows that a resurgence in field courses is completely possible as
long as professors are interested in providing a course that is accessible
to students.

Mitchell Owens
University of Texas at Dallas