Ruth Yanai is looking for one more graduate student, MS or PhD, to participate
in a large, multi-investigator project on terrestrial nutrient limitation in
northern hardwood forests. Field sites are located at Hubbard Brook, Jeffers
Brook, and Bartlett Experimental Forests in the White Mountains of New
Hampshire. Since 2011, thirteen stands have been receiving N, P, N&P, and
control treatments in 0.25-ha plots, and six stands also have a Ca plot. We
welcome inquiries from prospective students interested in above- or
below-ground questions related to nutrient cycling and tradeoffs involved in
multiple resource acquisition. More information on the project can be found at
http://www.esf.edu/melnhe  .

Ideally, students start during the summer to become familiar with the field
sites and our research activities. Field experience and the ability to live in
a group setting are essential. A field crew blog from previous years is
available at http://shoestringproject.wordpress.com/.  Starting in January 2014
is also a possibility.

In addition to projects in New Hampshire, collaborative opportunities exist for
students interested in uncertainty analysis through the QUEST Research
Coordination Network. QUEST stands for Quantifying Uncertainty in Ecosystem
Studies. More information on QUEST efforts are available at
http://quantifyinguncertainty.org

Funding will consist of a combination of research and teaching assistantships
(ability to TA General Chemistry or GIS would be a plus). Prospective students
may apply to the Department of Forest and Natural Resources Management or the
Program in Environmental Science, both at the SUNY College of Environmental
Science and Forestry, Syracuse, NY.

Please contact Heather Engelman at
forestecol...@esf.edu<mailto:forestecol...@esf.edu>  for access to additional
password-protected documents; we appreciate communicating with students as part
of the application process.

Ruth D. Yanai, Professor, Forest and Natural Resources Management SUNY College
of Environmental Science and Forestry Syracuse, NY 13210
http://www.esf.edu/faculty/yanai/

phone: 315 470-6955 fax: 315 470-6954