From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU] On Behalf Of Allison F. Walston
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2014 3:37 PM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] Leaving science?

Hey everyone

I graduated with my MS in ecology earlier this year and I was able to get a
temporary job after graduation. However, the job will be ending shortly and
they won't be able to make any permanent hires in the foreseeable future. I
have a few other irons in the fire, but I am growing increasingly skeptical
that any of them will pan out.

I know a lot of people are in a similar situation given the job market and I've
recently started thinking about looking outside of science. I did well during
grad school and gained a lot of analytical skills. However, I can imagine the
confusion my grad degree would cause for a potential employer outside of
science/biology/conservation.

Has anyone else made the decision to leave science shortly after grad school?
What sort of things are career paths are worth looking into?

Allison