Although some will say otherwise, the purpose of the GRE is not
entirely to see what you know.
IT is partly to see if you are willing to put in the effort to raise
your score.  Honestly, if you took it once,
raising your score 6 mo later or a year later is not that hard.  IF
you scored low in vocab, just get some
books on building your vocabulary, or find a list of high-frequency
GRE words and memorize it.

When I had to do this, I read the entire GRE verbal list into a
cassette tape and played it in my car every day.
I thought I had a year to get it down, it was three or four hours of
words.  Unfortunately, I had made a mistake
and only got through H in the vocabulary.  However, my score
skyrocketed in that portion of the exam.  Then,
because I was more confident with the verbal my quant actully raised!
 The math on the test does not go beyond
geometry I believe, but it may be trig.  So, if you give yourself a
year, or even 3-4 mo, there is no reason you can't raise a 800 to
a 1200 literally right away.  Heck, I don't know if you can even score
800 anymore!  but the point is, it really is not tht hard
to raise this score at all.  I've seen too many average studetns get
high scores the second time around.  But, you have to
put in the effort.

IF you don't, you really do face an insurmountable question from
prospective advisors.  That is, "If you are not even willing to put in
a few months to raise your score, what makes me think you are willing
to put in the effort to earn that MS or PHD?"  I will tell you right
now,
preparing for the GRE is a joke compared to what you have before you
with those two degrees.  too much effort is needed by the advisor
to waste his/her time with people who are only interested in doing
things the easy way.

I hated the GRE.  I did not think it meant much.  Now, I think I get it.
Now, if you were talking the Bio GRE, that is an entirely different issue.
Personally, I thought the bio GRE was an outstanding reflection of my
background.
I also used it as a tool to assess my background.  I discovered I was
really strong in
ecology and evolution, but really behind in molecular and immuno.  SO,
I started taking courses
in recombinant DNA, Molecular genetics, through the community
education program a local university had (before my PHD).
It was pretty cool because I could pay $25 to sit in the lectures and
learn the material.  Then, when I got in my PHD, I took
Immunology and some other stuff.  What happened?  I discovered Immuno
was freaking interesting, especially from an ecotoxicological
perspective,
and from a evolutionary trade-off perspective.  The bio GRE was a
great tool in that way, and had I not taken it I might not have
realized
how behind in some areas I was or how well I knew other areas.  Its a
pretty nifty thing to do if you want a rounded education in the life
sciences.

I hope this helps you consider what positives you can get from these tests.