Ditto that comment. What got my interest was the goals statement that the
individual wrote as part of their application. Not only was it
well-written, but it was right in line with the focus of my program. I
asked numerous faculty about it and decided to go out on a limb and give
the student the opportunity. Except for a lot of re-writing, the student
was the best I¹ve had. By the fourth manuscript, their writing was much
improved.

Steve