Post-doctoral Associate in Biogeochemistry/Microbial Ecology
I am seeking a post-doc to conduct research on the biogeochemistry of linked
aquatic-terrestrial systems.  I am particularly interested in a researcher with
experience using stable isotopes to examine denitrification or other processes
and with an interest in connecting biogeochemical functions to microbial
community structure and activity. The post-doc will have the opportunity to
participate in workshops and other activities offered via Kent State's post-doc
mentoring program.  In addition to publishing results from the project, the
post-doc and I will develop future research ideas and submit proposals.  The
post-doc will also have access to a variety of instruments, university owned
field sites, collaborations with private and public partners, and a network of
university researchers from a variety of disciplines who study topics related
to ecology, water, urban design, etc.
If you are interested in learning more about the position, please send me an e
mail describing your interests and experiences along with your CV.  Below I
have included some information about Kent State and my department.
Laura Leff
Professor, Interim Chair
Department of Biological Sciences
Kent State University
_________________
Kent State University (www.kent.edu), the second largest university in Ohio, is
a state-supported, doctoral degree granting institution ranked as 'high
research' by the Carnegie Foundation. Kent State eight campus system has a
total enrollment of nearly 42,000 students. The Kent campus population consists
of 22,000 undergraduates and 5,000 graduate students and includes individuals
from all 50 states and over 100 countries.  The city of Kent combines the
eclectic atmosphere of a small midwest college town with easy access to major
metropolitan centers, including Cleveland, Akron, Columbus, and Pittsburgh.

The Department of Biological Sciences (www.kent.edu/biology) is the largest in
the College of Arts and Sciences, with over 80 MS and PhD students, approx.
1100 undergraduate majors, and 41 faculty on the Kent campus. Facilities and
resources include shared biogeochemical analysis instrument labs, an
interdisciplinary Center for Ecology and Resource Sustainability (CENRS), and
18 managed natural areas available for research activities. The Department has
formal affiliations or active collaborations with non-academic organizations
across northeast Ohio, including: the Holden Arboretum, the Cleveland Botanical
Garden, Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Cleveland Metroparks, Cleveland Museum
of Natural History, and the Nature Conservancy of Ohio. International
opportunities for teaching, training, and research are supported by membership
in OTS, and a formal agreement with the University of Costa Rica.