Emily
I boldly proposed a project in a topical area related to my potential
advisors work, but it was not their primary area of focus. - Thus, it
brought something new to their research group when I joined the lab.
Not only did my advisor take a risk in accepting me as their student,
but this person went out on a limb, wrote a small grant proposal that
ended up being funded, and I was able to carry out the entire thesis
project as well. Neither myself, nor my former advisor - now colleague
- regret this route, and it led me to a second graduate degree in the
end. Just because one person has a predetermined project versus
another person having a completely exploratory approach does not mean
there is one steadfast rule on how to carry out a project.

You should be asking yourself instead, what do YOU want out of it?
WIll you intend on being a researcher in the future, or are you
looking to hone your interest and skills in a very specific aspect of
the field. There are ways to tailor your graduate research to
facilitate both. All other advice aside, I thoroughly enjoyed the
scholarship and intensity of graduate school and fondly recall another
mentors wise words - enjoy it now, you'll never have another
opportunity in your life to dedicate so much time to one question!

Enjoy and best of luck in your career pursuits.

Heather A. Wright
Technical Customer Support Associate
Fluid Imaging Technologies
200 Enterprise Dr.