Hi all,

I have seen a Swedish defence as a spectator. Also, I've been involved in a
US version as a committee member after going through a Danish version
myself. In Denmark the student gives the long talk and then the opponents
just ask the questions. They are, again, external opponents (at least 2).
Before the defence, opponents read the thesis and decide if the student has
apparently done enough to graduate. The final decision hangs on the
presentation and the answers to the questions, which better demonstrate the
students' grasp of the topic, as opposed to the written text, which is done
with the review of the supervisors and co-authors. In Denmark (and I
believe also Sweden), the defence is publicly advertised and the whole
process is open to the public (except for the deliberations of the
opponents). This adds an extra layer - the presentation itself must be
accessible to non-scientists, at least in a general way.

The opponents do (I believe) get their expenses covered, and a small
honorarium. I cannot speak for the Swedish system on that score.

I believe there is much benefit in having a true peer-review of the PhD
process over merely another critique by the internal committee. It also
reduces the 'risk' to the student associated with any difficulties that may
have developed between them and the committee, or even among the committee
itself. The outside opponents have the final say. It also has the final
benefit that only students with acceptable theses get to the defence stage,
meaning that post-defence corrections and re-defences are extremely rare.
In fact, although there were several criticisms to my thesis from my
opponents, it was judged good enough to move to the final defence, meaning
that corrections were not involved at all (at least until unpublished
chapters were getting submitted). Many benefits to the students as well as
a bit more of a scare!

Cheers,

Andrew

--
Andrew Wright, Ph.D.

VaquitaAreBrowncoats: Where Sci-Fi meets Science, the Cosmos meets
Conservation and Firefly meets Flipper. Shiny
https://www.facebook.com/vaquitaarebrowncoats.

"We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after
itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we
live in will be capable of sustaining us in it." Douglas Adams