Land Use History & Forest Dynamics

We are looking for a capable student to join our Forest History research
team at the Masters or PhD level beginning in January 2016.  The team uses
remote sensing and spatial modeling to reconstruct the recent history of
deciduous forests and project distributions in response to climate change.
Spatial analysis complements vegetation surveys in testing disturbance
history, fragment geometry, physical gradients, and plant life history as
factors shaping modern species distributions.  In addition to research
commitments, the student will take courses and serve as teaching assistant
in the Department of Environmental and Plant Biology.  The position is fully
funded including tuition waivers.

Applicants should have a GPA of at least 3.2 and GREs above the 60th
percentile.  A strong work ethic, quantitative skills, and the ability work
independently are essential.  Applicants should be physically fit and
capable of field work under less-than-ideal conditions.  Previous field
experience is desirable.

The Department of Environmental and Plant Biology (
http://www.plantbio.ohiou.edu/ ) is a community of mutually supportive
faculty and students at Ohio University.  The University is situated in the
quaint city of Athens, nestled in the forested hills of the Allegheny
Plateau.  Applications must be received by September 30.  Application
procedures are described at
http://www.plantbio.ohiou.edu/index.php/grad/admission_app .  If you are
interested please contact Glenn Matlack at matl...@ohio.edu.  See my web
page at