We are looking for a capable student to join our Forest Ecology research
team at the Masters or PhD level.  The student will use historical remote
sensing data and image analysis to reconstruct the recent history of forests
in southeast Ohio.  Historical data will be paired with on-the-ground
vegetation surveys to compare the roles of disturbance history, fragment
geometry, physical gradients, and plant life history in shaping modern
species distributions.  In addition to research commitments, the student
will take courses and serve as teaching assistant in the Department of
Environmental and Plant Biology.  The position is fully funded including
tuition waivers.

Applicants should have a GPA of at least 3.2 and an average GRE score above
the 60th percentile.  A strong work ethic, quantitative skills, and the
ability work independently are essential.  Applicants should be physically
fit and capable of field work under less-than-ideal conditions.  Previous
field experience is desirable.

The Department of Environmental and Plant Biology (
http://www.plantbio.ohiou.edu/ ) is a community of mutually supportive
faculty and students at Ohio University.  The University is situated in the
quaint city of Athens, nestled in the forested hills of the Allegheny
Plateau.  The positions will begin in Summer or Fall of 2016; applications
must be received by January 15.  Application procedures are described at
http://www.plantbio.ohiou.edu/index.php/grad/admission_app .  If you are
interested please contact Glenn Matlack at matl...@ohio.edu.  See my web
page at
http://www.plantbio.ohiou.edu/index.php/directory/faculty_page/glenn_matlack/ .