There have been some pretty good developments in the R world. There is a
'landsat' package along with many others for handling raster data. Its
certainly more a roll-your-own proposition compared to ERDAS.

Searching r-project.org shows a fair number of options:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=satellite%20imagery%20site%3Ar-project.org

THK

http://www.keittlab.org/